Air Compressor ???

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by A/Fuel&HisMoney, Nov 29, 2007.

1. A/Fuel&HisMoney

A/Fuel&HisMoney Jr. Dragster

How big of a compressor do you guys run? Gas or electric? What percentage of your tools are air vs cordless or corded electric?

Thanks in advance

2. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

It all depends on the size of the generator you are useing. Add up all the amp draw you have when operating all the lights, AC units, microwave, coffeemaker, hot water heater, fans, etc. and then add the amp draw for the air compressor you wish to use. Remember that you can use a smaller compressor if you have a larger receiver tank. By using the 3/8 rechargable impacts you can cut down some on your air compressor requirments. Also depends on the size crew you have and how many might be using air at the same time. For a typical TA car with crew of 4/5 I would not use anything smaller than a 5 hp compressor with a 30 to 60 gallon receiver.

3. A/Fuel&HisMoney

I see all kinds of electric impacts with really high torque ratings (like 350 ft lbs). Seems a little unbelievable. Anyone own and use any of these tools, and how close to what they claim are they?

4. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

We have both 3/8" ane 1/2" rechargable impacts. Mostly use the 3/8". Best tools we have. Don't go with cheapie brand. We use Milwakee. They are about 90lb torque and hold a charge. They also recharge quickly. There are other good brands as well. Mikita is also good.

5. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Ive used the Snap Op 1/2 battery powered impact ( think its around $300 ) while servicing the clutch. Ill run the big stand nuts down and check it with the torque wrench, there sitting right around 100lbs. After a run it makes quick work of those stand nuts and Ill get 3-4 services b4 I have the charge the battery

6. A/Fuel&HisMoney

Some of the brands talk about their reverse torque. Do they have more torque for breaking things loose than for tightening them down? I've been looking at the Milwaukee stuff, I like Snap-On except the $$$. Can any of these break the head/main bolts loose?

7. centerplugs4life

I would say no on the electric impact breaking head and main bolts loose all though I have never tried. The car that I work on we don't use an air compressor just bottles of compressed Nitrogen. I was a little skeptical at first but it runs air tools great without all the noise or room lossage with an aircompressor.

8. ITS IN MY BLOOD

Randy, Johnathan, and David,....
    Remember,..you will be maually busting all your head nuts and rod bolts
    loose with your breaker bars, before you put air or electric to them
    when its coming apart, and only zipping them up when going back together.
    dont use the powerfull cordless down stairs,like rod bolts and pan nuts,.. SET THE SETTINGS DOWN NEAR LOW.

If your trailer does not have a generator, you should invest in
    a good one, you will always need power air compressor for one thing, pro jacks, tires, cleaning, blowing out your clutch can, and in your tennishoes, impact gun for the cylinder heads,etc...
    5 hp compressor should be sufficiant with a 30min to 50 gal tank.
    If you go the route of getting a GOOD generator get the 6kw or
    10kw quite diesl from onan,..it will power up everything.

Vic

9. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

20 kw generator with a 5 hp compressor

10. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

gen/tools

cordless impacts are the only way to go in my opinion. when you order them make sure you get some spare orings or clips that secure the sockets on the drive...you'll go through a couple of those sometimes, and it is pretty irritating when a socket continually falls off...

some of the newer 3/8 impacts have quite a bit of zip to them, almost too much. someone experienced, it might not be a problem on the bottom end. with the power these things are making now, a 1/4 cordless might be better suited for bottom end. some people don't like impacts on rod bolts, but i've done bottom end hundreds of times with no problems.

usually you need at least two cordless impacts, one for bottom end and clutch. the 1/2 cordless is nice for the clutch to break the stands loose. personally i set the clutch with a set tool between the plate and hat, so you don't want a big impact to buzz them down. i use a breaker to break the clutch nuts loose then use the 3/8 impact to buzz them off.

when you use air for everything you have a million air hoses running everywhere cluttering up the pit. now that i convinced harker to go cordless, the air hoses get used for tires and blowing stuff off.

as far as generator...a 10kw might work fine for running the essentials, but if you want to run a clutch floater grinder, you better get a 12.5 to 15k or better. if you have AC and a grinder, probably need minimum 12.5 kw. we had a 12.5 kw quiet onan with cannon's car, and we had to shut all the ac's off to use the grinder. we had the same unit in the trailer with the fc i drove, but we had no grinder, but two roof mount ac's. the generator was never a problem. when you wire your generator and air compressor in, make sure you 'over wire' it if possible to handle the high loads some of the tools like clutch grinders and such will pull so you don't have breaker problems. save some cuss words at the track.

good luck!

11. A/Fuel&HisMoney

Here's a few pics of the new trailer. It's 45' long and almost 14' tall. It's a Monster!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. A/Fuel&HisMoney

Here's a few more. We'll be adding a 16' living quarters, lista cabinets, HUGE diesel generator, Bend Pak lift. The back ramp door is 9' tall so we can leave the wing on!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Sandracer695

Sandracer695 Member

Who built your trailer?

14. A/Fuel&HisMoney

It's the first prototype of our XTNitro brand. We're going to make pull trailers under the QuadZilla by Monster, brand name and pull and gooseneck Stackers under the XTStacker, and XTNitro brand names.

15. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Impacts

Randy,
    All impacts are biased. That means they have more torque in reverse than forward. It is obvious why. Anything you put on it will ake off.
    It is best to have a 240 volt compressor. The amp draw on 240 is only 1/2 of what it is at 120 volts. A 10kw gen is a good size. You may not be able to run all your equipment at the same time but you hardly ever need to do that anyway. Remember the bigger the generator the more in fuel cost for running for 3 or 4 days! The ideal sizing is for the generator to be 20% more than the max load. The problem is not running amps on the loads but starting amps. You must figure starting amp draws for all AC and motors on fans, air compressors, etc.