426 block and cylinder head ????

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Kenneth S, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

Question # 1:
    What aftermarket 426 hemi blocks have starter pockets, and were either water, or billit.

Question # 2:
    What is the difference(s) between a stock 426 hemi head, and say a BAE fathead, KB stage 1 through whatever stage is available now, Veney heads, and AJPE stage 1 through whatever stage is now available.

I'm looking into building a dependable, naturally aspirated, alcohol injected engine for my weekend worrior bracket altered that may have to be hot lapped.

2. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

lots and lots of money

3. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

Besides the money.

4. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

Ken,

KB still makes water blocks with starter pocket, at least according to their web-site which doesn't look like it's been updated in a long time. Indy has aluminum and steel blocks, World is making a steel Hemi block now, just saw it advertised in ND.

Stock Mopar heads in steel or aluminum are usually 16 bolt intake, Indy makes a 16 or 10 (6) bolt style, my preference in aluminum water head would be Hansen Stage V's if they still make them, most stock and fuel type billets or water heads are 168-170cc heads while the fat heads are in 115-135cc???, just guessing there. I think all fat heads are billets, not good if you're hot lapping. Not a big fan of the Indy stuff but I do like the cast in rocker stands on their Hemi heads and they are pretty much a one stop shopping market if you're starting from scratch and want to spend that much. For what it sounds like you're doing a steel block with aluminum heads might be the ticket for keeping things cool between rounds, although if the aluminum block will seal water they are about 125 pounds lighter in the standard deck height version. And if you're building a big stroke combo, its a little easier to clearance an alum block.

5. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

ken i was just tring to be funny but its true

6. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

Thanks for the info 23T, I'm still in the debate stage of building a hemi, I have a friend that can get me parts for free, used fuel, and alky stuff (pistons, rods, cranks, and the other expendable parts that are still useable) for a unblown alky combo like l'm thinking of building, also I don't plan on running it hard "rpm's", so I the main things I would need to come accross is a bare water block w/sleeves, and a pair of bare water heads (I can get all the major valve train parts for allmost nothing, and the small parts for nada).

7. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

I know :D, but I can get alot of good used parts for free. The water block and water heads are the stumbling "blocks":(.

8. mark6052

mark6052 Member

stumbling

ken you may need to learn alittle more about hemis. the stock water blk & heads have lilltle to do with the race stuff you may get for free. stock lifter are smaller dia. the latest fuel stuff is 1.125 dia, plus the tall block use different angle of cam, diff height lifterss. I have a friend that builds the all aluminum hemis for mopar. mike cofini engines in spokane wa. the stock street hemi stuff has little in common with any race components. what do you want to build? a street only motor or a cheap race only thing. good luck. I have had to learn alot the hard way my self. these motors seem to be unique to put it politely.

9. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

Mark makes some good points, but as far as rotating assemblies, most are pretty interchangable other than fuel cranks which use 3" mains instead of 2.750". There are still a lot of smaller main cranks out there. Most early BAE fuel heads, KB's, Darts, Stage V's use the same rocker assemblies, valve covers, etc. The KB blocks can come in just about any configuration, standard cam, raised cam, standard lifter (.904) big lifter, spread lifter, .500" short deck, .500 tall deck, solid block, water block, up to Stage 7, maybe 8's they still have starter pockets. There is a Stage VI water block in the classifieds right now, with stock cam height, standard lifters, no windows, would probably be a good starting point if you really want to build a Hemi for bracket racing. Or like I said in the above post Indy Head Service builds a pretty good aluminum or iron block, decent heads and all of the peripheral parts. Just be prepared to empty the bank. One thing to stay away from, and this may be where Mark was coming from, is the TFX style of fuel blocks. Nothing wrong with them, they just use different front drives, oil pans, know there some other difference, just can't remember off the top of my head. Anyway, keep asking questions whenever you find something for sale. Most guys will usually shoot straight in regards to what will fit and won't fit. If they don't, it's probably best to move on.

10. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

Thanks for all the good info, as the aftermarket hemi has evolved over the years all the changes makes building one confusing if you cant afford all the new stuff, different deck heights, cam location, lifter bore dia, and all the other changes made to the blocks and heads it's enough to make anyone insane.:confused:

11. G FORCE JUNKIE

G FORCE JUNKIE New Member

Don't know if you've seen this WWW.racingjunk.com Add #1039185 But in all seriousness were pretty hard on your "for free, used fuel, and alky stuff (pistons, rods, cranks, and the other expendable parts" So "FREE" can quickly make all your parts occupy the same space at the bottom of the oil pan, you know, the one that no longer holds oil!! and a $5000 block into bear can material or a great coffee table. If cost is a real issue and your going to hot lap it I would think something like RJ Ad #916625 would be alot more fun and a lot le$$ heartache. Love the "HEMI" were horsepower is "KING", but there's a reason you rarely here the words Budget And HEMI in the same sentance!! Just my 2 cents worth!!
    Good LUCK!!!!
    Kent

12. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

Unfortunately, these are probably some if the truest words you'll hear about the subject..... :eek:

13. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

that block on racing junk is what they call a water block. you will never get water to flow through it. there are some true stage 3 and 6 water blocks i think...but rare. best bet is a indy or world and heads from same. about the only used fuel parts you can use are valve springs. cranks are cracked,rods wont clear, couldnt even get an injected motor to start with fuel pistons.theyre not going to give away cluff rockers. have to steal em. they do make conversions from chrysler wedge to hemi..possibly cheaper or how about a first generation hemi . a true nostalgia motor..easy to find and Gene Adams is still killing chevys with em..stand back and see if i started anything.

14. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

I guess for now I'll stick to the small block ford's that I know like the back of my hand, so I'm going to barrow a lineup bar to make the new ford motorplates, but I'm still going to keep those 2 sets of 426 hemi motorplates that came with the ta/fc chassis I bought, and maybe get to use them one day!:D

Thanks for the hemi information.